Microsoft has announced Surface Book 2 – the successor to its popular Surface Book laptop released in 2015. Surface Book 2 is up to five times more powerful than the first Surface Book and twice as powerful as the MacBook Pro, says Microsoft.
Microsoft released Surface Book with minor revisions last year. Unlike the revision, Surface Book 2 brings some notable hardware enhancements and performance improvements. The most notable hardware changes are the latest 8th-generation “Kaby Lake” Intel processors and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/1060 discrete graphics.
“Surface Book 2 removes the barrier between the desktop and the laptop,” wrote Panos Panay, corporate vice president, Microsoft Devices, introducing the new hybrid laptop. “It gives mobile professionals the power of a desktop, the versatility of a tablet, and the freedom of a light and thin laptop in one beautifully designed device.”
The new Microsoft Surface Book 2 will be available in two sizes – 13.5-inch and 15-inch. Both models weigh 3.38lbs (1.5 kg) and 4.2lbs (1.9 kg), respectively.
Surface Book 2 Tech Specs, Price, and Availability
- Size: 13.5-inch, 15-inch
- Display: PixelSense display with multi-touch
- Screen Resolution: 3000 x 2000 pixels, 3240 x 2160 pixels
- Processor: Intel 7th-gen dual-core i5-7300U, 8th-gen quad-core i7-8650U
- RAM: 8GB, 16GB
- Storage: 256GB, 512GB, 1TB SSD
- Graphics: Intel HD graphics 620, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
- Battery: Up to 17 hours (5 hours on tablet mode) video watching
The prices of Microsoft Surface Book 2 13-inch and 15-inch models start at $1,499 and $2,499, respectively. Surface Book 2 will become available for pre-orders starting 9th November and shipping will begin from 16th November.
The 15-inch Surface Book 2 will be available in the US market only at the moment. There’s no word on when it will become available to other markets.